Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Haggis

You can bet this is Don posting this one.

I've been meaning to cook a haggis that wasn't so damn gross to cook. I made one before I was married, and it was a pretty awful process. I actually got part of a stomach bag to cook the damned thing in. The process of cleaning it and cooking the actual haggis smelled revolting. But I've really enjoyed haggis when I was over in Scotland, and I think I can do it. So I decided to try looking for a crock pot recipe.

And I found one!

What I keep forgetting is that people still may not like it, and so when I futz with the proportions I know I'm only making more for myself, and like any leftovers, that's going to get old. So rather than posting exactly what I did, I'll post what I'd recommend.

Ingredients:
1lb Ground Lamb
1/2lb Lamb Kidney (found at local Food Co-Op)
1 Lamb Heart (found at local Food Co-Op)
1 large red onion, coarsely chopped. (You can use yellow instead if you like)
1-1/2 cups steel cut oats
pinch to 1/4 tsp each of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice or cloves
1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
1 egg (beaten)
1 cup broth (I used organic beef broth)
1/4 cup Scotch Whisky (doesn't have to be good scotch. I used two tiny bottles of Johnny Walker Black)

Directions:

Boil the kidney and the heart until cooked through. Drain and wash off with cold water. Then mince. I used the meat grinder attachment on a kitchenaid. It's important to grind the heart and kidney to mix well with the ground lamb.

Mix all ingredients except broth and scotch in a large mixing bowl like you would prepare a meatloaf. Shape with your hands into a roundish haggis loaf. Transfer to your crockpot and finish forming. Add broth.

Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. Midway into it, add scotch. Beware of overcooking and drying it out.

Serve with Neeps & Tatties, which is mashed potatoes and mashed parsnips. Basically make your mashed parsnips the same exact way you make your mashed potatoes. Add a little bit of ground ginger to the Neeps if you like, and a little nutmeg to the Tatties. You can even combine the Neeps & Tatties to form Clapshot.Which I did. Then layered in shredded Tillamook Cheddar and Dubliner cheese, then baked it. Add a heavy dose of chives and butter.

Now, what to do with leftovers?

HAGGIS BURGERS! Not kidding, they do this in Glasgow. I might add a little Siracha sauce to kick it up. Maybe some goat cheese, dijon, etc.

Also, for a delicious vegetarian haggis (well almost vegetarian, contains egg), check out this recipe. We made it. Very nutty goodness.





1 comment:

  1. "smelled revolting" is an understatement, I'm afraid. I'm all for trying new things, but organ meat has always tasted and smelled horrid to me, no matter how many times or ways I try it. I can choke down really really expensive paté, but I still don't like it. Adam is still trying to get me to eat haggis though. The current deal is that whenever we finally end up in Scotland for a holiday, I'll try a small bite. I might love it, but after smelling yours...well, we'll see.

    Oyster on the half shell though? Fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete