Saturday, August 10, 2013

#1 - Baked Caramelized Onion & Red Russian Kale Frittata with Repurposed Crispy Potatoes

On the heals of my previous post, here marks my very first meal in progression toward my goal of 100 home cooked meals inspired by my Dandelion Organic CSA Deliveries.  Frittatas are one of my favorite ways to use up veggies and particularly Kale which seems to never be in short supply when you are a CSA recipient.  I suspect you will see a lot of frittata recipes over the coming months.  I also plan to get really good at making different varieties of hash browns too.


I have determined that Red Russian Kale is definitely my most favorite variety of the hearty greens (at least for cooking, maybe not for raw salads.)  It is so flavorful and the stalks in particular have almost a sweet quality to them when sauteed in a little bit of olive oil. Caramelized onion make a great base of flavor also to build on.  I'm particularly proud of using up the leftover crispy red potatoes that Don had grilled with our steaks the other night.  I feel like I should get bonus points for that. The grape tomatoes add a pop of color and texture to round out the dish.  Caitlyn absolutely loves these little tomatoes but they're still a little too tough for her to eat raw so any chance I get to cook them and soften them up is a win in our house.  

Baked Caramelized Onion & Red Russian Kale Frittata with Repurposed Crispy Potatoes

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Yellow or Sweet onion, sliced into rings
1 Bunch Red Russian Kale, stems separated and chopped, leaves separated and chopped
1/2 cup cooked red potatoes, thinly sliced
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
8 eggs
2 Tablespoons Whole Milk
1 Teaspoon Bottled Minced Garlic
1/2 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese Blend

Preheat Oven to 350.
Coat a 8 inch round baking dish with cooking spray. 
Heat 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil over Medium High Heat in a cast iron skillet.
Saute Onion Rings and Kale Stems about 5 minutes until softened.
Add Kale Leaves in batches.  Cooking down until the leaves soften and glisten with moisture but are not soggy.
Pour Kale Mixture into baking dish.  Arrange potatoes and tomatoes over kale mixture.
In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, milk, garlic, thyme, salt & pepper.  Pour over Kale Mixture.  Top with cheese.
Bake in the oven for 25 to 35 minutes, until eggs have set.



No comments:

Post a Comment